Thursday, February 17, 2011

Shakira Sued for Not Crediting Reggaeton in 'Loca'

 Shakira's hit "Loca" is in the middle of a lawsuit which is also naming producer Pitbull and Dominican artist El Cata. Reggaeton artist Nejo is unhappy that his name was not credited in the song as the lyricist and that he never received the proper compensation for lending his voice to the song.

Spanish news agency EFE said he was only given a 10% royalties in the Spanish version of the song and 5% in the English version which is the collaboration with
Dizzee Rascal. Thinking 20% would be fair, Nejo is upset that his name did not appear in the album's credits. "It is not fair. I need recognition and that they give me my place," Nejo said.

He further said, "I am furious, they used my part of the song, my verses, my voice, and the remix I did with Dalmata. Cata stole from me because he stayed quiet so he can take all the money. Even though he (Cata) wrote the original song, he knows that Shakira fell in love with my verses. They put 'Shakira featuring Cata' while only thanking me and Dalmatra in the CD sleeve. It should have said 'Shakira featuring Nejo'."

This is not the first time Shakira's song is being disputed. "Waka Waka" which became the anthem for 2010 World Cup reportedly took a portion out of Wilfrido Vargas' song. Another hit, "Hips Don't Lie", was also accused of using a refrain from Jerry Rivera's song. Both claims were dismissed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment